Dodge/Pine Creek

Dodge Tremp Gale
1914 Map. The Town of Dodge was created out of parts of the Town of Trempealeau. in 1866. The village of Dodge was platted in 1874 but never incorporated.The ¬†first settlement in the town was in 1855. ¬† Some of the first settlers were Martin Whistler, Ichabod Wood, John Sanderson, Michael CIerzan, Almon Johnson, Joseph Utter, Paul Libera, Paul Rudnick, Felix Kamrowsky, Mathias Brom, George Staflin, Frank Pellowski and John Latsch. 1862 found many Polish families moving into the Town along with a few settlers from Bohemia. Two small trading centers were founded–Pine Creek to the east and Dodge on the old Indian ford of the Trempealeau River. A large Catholic church was built in Pine Creek- At first a stage coach ran between Trempealeau and Winona and stopped in Dodge. The little village became a busy trade center with a bank, general stores, four taverns, a sawmill, creamery, blacksmith shop and school. The Dodge Hotel was run by Fred and Rosa Hoesley. Fred donated the land for the railroad line through Dodge. The first post master was Louis Literski . Today the post office stands where the railroad depot was built. John Noteman was the first station agent. During Prohibition the Town of Dodge became an area known for its illegal stills. Train cars delivered sugar which was trucked back into the hills and valleys. A CCC camp was located on the Herek Farm in 1933. The depot was closed in the 1950s and the last station agent was Carl Wagner. Dodge has a large park run by the Rod and Gun Club on the south side of town. Sacred Heart Church is still located in Pine Creek although the parochial school closed in 1976. The Town of Dodge had three public schools-Dodge, Brezinski and Pine Creek as well as the parochial school

Dodge/Pine Creek