Lincoln/Whitehall

lincoln
1914 Plat map.The Town of Lincoln was formed in 1866 and named for President Lincoln. The County Seat is located in Whitehall, with the courthouse located at the intersection of Hwy 53 and Hwy 121. The vicinity of Whitehall had its first settlers in 1855. The railroad came through in 1873. Prior to this, Whitehall was located one mile northeast where a grist mill had been erected on Pigeon Creek near the confluence with the Trempealeau River. Besides the mill, Old Whitehall had a blacksmith shop and hotel run by Ole Knudtson.
The present day city of Whitehall was platted in 1874 and a newspaper and grain bins were established. According to the 1917 ‘History of Trempealeau County”, ‘A miles up Pigeon Creek was located old Whitehall platted on May 23, 1862 by Alexander Arnold for Benjamin F Wing. another mile further up the creek was Coral City, platted in May 1868 by George Hodgkin for Phnieas Wright. Both of these hamlets were flourishing trading points. For a time it appeared that the railroad was to go westward from Blair to Arcadia without following the northern loop of the river, but the present route was finally decided upon and a village near this point assured. The tracks were laid through the wheat field that is now Whitehall in  1878. Charles Adams, a leading Whitehall merchant, was one of the crew. Where the courthouse now stands, the harvesters were gathering wheat.” New Year’s Day 1874 the first passenger train passed through what would become Whitehall. The first residence was that of TH Earle and the second was George Olds. Other early settlers were AJ Cady, MC Olson, Edward Romander, Melvin Johnson, AS Trow and Eugene Webster. There were three rural schools in the Town of Lincoln–Maule Coulee, Lower Plum Creek and West Lincoln ( Kurth).

Lincoln/Whitehall